You are here
Types of Licences
The Liquor Act provides authority for the Board to issue 11 different classes of liquor licences:
- Aircraft licence or ship licence for the sale of liquor to and consumption of liquor by passengers while in transit.
- Brew pub licence to a holder of a brewery permit for the sale and consumption at a brew pub of beer manufactured under the authority of the brewery permit.
- Canteen licence for the sale and consumption of liquor in military and quasi-military messes and in the canteen facilities of fire halls.
- Club licence for the sale of liquor by the licence holder for consumption by members and guests.
- Cocktail lounge licence for the sale and consumption of liquor.
- Cultural and sports facility licence for the sale and consumption of liquor in theatres and sports arenas.
- Dining room licence for the sale and consumption of liquor in a public dining room.
- Guest room licence for the sale of liquor by the licence holder for consumption by a bona fide registered guest of a tourist establishment.
- Off-premises licence for the sale of beer in licensed premises to persons for consumption off the premises.
- Private recreational facility licence for the sale of liquor by the licence holder for consumption by members and guests.
- Special licence for the sale and consumption of liquor or beer only to a commercial corporation operating in an isolated area.
Each of these licences is subject to the general and specific rules contained in the Liquor Act, the Liquor Regulations, and in any of the specific regulations applicable to individual communities. A liquor licence cannot be issued in a prohibited community. A liquor licence issued in a restricted community is subject to the restrictions in place in that community.
Applying for a Liquor Licence
The Liquor Regulations lay out the specific provisions for applying for each of the various types of liquor licences.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that they have provided all the necessary criteria for the Board to consider the application.
New licence applications are reviewed and approved by the Board at their quarterly meetings in January, March, June and September.
Application forms, including checklists of required documentation, can be downloaded below. All applications or application inquiries should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brew Pub Licence
- Cocktail Lounge Licence
- Cultural and Sports Facility Licence
- Dining Room Licence
- Guest Room Licence
- Off-Premises Licence
- Private Recreational Facility Licence
Aircraft Licence Application – available upon request
Ship Licence Application – available upon request
Consult the appropriate form for the list of other documents that must be submitted with the application.
Preliminary application – $300.00
Off-Premises Licence – $500.00; five per cent of sales will be charged when the licence holder purchases liquor.
All other licences – $200.00; five per cent of sales will be charged when the licence holder purchases liquor.
Cheques for fees should be made out to Nunavut Liquor Licensing Board.
Mail or deliver the completed form, the additional documents (if any), and a cheque for fees to the Board’s executive secretary:
Box 1000, Stn 330
Parnaivik, 2nd floor