You are here

How to Place an ATIPP Request

Informal Access

When possible, the GN will provide individuals with access to information informally, without having to go through the formal ATIPP process. Certain records should be available to the public without placing a formal ATIPP request. Examples of those records include: 

  • publications
  • brochures
  • manuals
  • policies or guidelines
  • forms
  • reports
  • information about government programs and services that affect the public

The principles of the ATIPP Act must be applied whether a request for access to information is formal or informal. 


Formal Access

The ATIPP Act provides individuals with the right to request access to information held by the Government of Nunavut (GN). To place a formal ATIPP request, you must do the following: 

  1. Identify the public body that has the information you are looking for.
  2. Place your request in writing with this form.
  3. Deliver, fax, mail or e-mail your request to the ATIPP coordinator in the public body that has the information you need.
  4. Pay any fee that may apply.*


Accessing and correcting personal information

Anyone can review the information public bodies have about them. Reviewing your personal information ensures that the information held by the public body about you is accurate. 

To access your personal information, you must place an access to information request with the appropriate public body for the specific information. For more information on how to place an access to information request, visit Access for Information and Protection of Privacy.

If you believe your personal information held by public bodies is incorrect, you may submit a Request for Correction of Personal Information Form to the appropriate public body.

The public body will be required to provide you with a response within 30 days.