You are here
Official Languages is responsible for supporting all Government of Nunavut departments and agencies in the delivery of services to the public in Nunavut’s official languages, and provides support to help implement the Inuit language as the working language of the government. Official Languages also provides translation services to the government through its Translation Bureau based in Kugluktuk and Igloolik, and administers language services under the provisions of the Canada-Nunavut General Agreement on the Promotion of French and Inuit Languages. In addition, Official Languages is leading efforts to promote the use of Nunavut’s official languages through a number of efforts, such as community-based grants and contributions for Inuit and French language promotion, protection and preservation, Asuilaak and other initiatives.
- Official Languages Act
- Inuit Language Protection Act
- Priorities of the Francophone Community of Nunavut Regarding French Services
- Inuktut Applications
Nunavut is a model on the national and world stages in the protection of an indigenous language. Our territorial language laws clearly affirm that Inuit in our territory have an inherent right to the use of Inuktut, in full equality with other official languages. This level of statutory protection for an indigenous language still remains unprecedented in Canada today.
- Did you know? The term Inuktut is inclusive of all dialects used in Nunavut. It also means being strong in Inuit culture and language. Can you name all the dialects used in our territory?
- Did you know that we have different words in Inuktut to say thank you? Qujannamik, nakurmik, ma'na, qujanaqqut, quana. How do you say it in your dialect?
- Atii is common to say "let's" for many Inuktitut dialects. Taki is common in Inuinnaqtun. Atii, Inuktuuqta! Taki, Inuktuuqta! Let's speak Inuktut! Do you have other ways of saying "Let's"?
- Businesses play an important role in promoting the use of Inuktut in our communities. It's also a right in Nunavut. Funding is available to help you making your signs, advertising, and other customer services available in Inuktut. Make your clients happy, serve them in Inuktut. Apply today!
Director of Official Language