Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-19-025 Manager, Protection, Control and Metering (Re-advertisement)
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Director, Operations, this position is accountable for the planning, management, provision of all protection & control, automation and metering services for the Corporation. The position will act as the operations lead on protection, control and metering activities and ensures all work performed by the section meets all applicable codes and standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes, schedules, assigns and supervises employee activities engaged in protection, control, automation and metering while ensuring safe and efficient operations.
- Plans all equipment maintenance to conform to applicable codes and standards.
- Schedules Protection and Control (P&C) related equipment maintenance, repairs and upgrades, and capital projects.
- Manages Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) activities.
- Provides guidance on protective relaying systems and metering maintenance, techniques, tools, and standards.
- Ensures all metering activities adhere to Measurement Canada and utility industry standards.
- Ensures accurate meter data, meter information, and support is provided to the Customer Care department.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited Canadian university or equivalent.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng) with immediate eligibility for registration in NAPEG.
- Five (5) years of protection and control experience in a utilities setting.
- Experience in diesel generated power and control settings.
- Experience with GE Multilin relay protection systems.
- Experience in updating and maintaining Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems.
- Strong demonstrated administration and supervisory skills.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation.
- Project management experience in the areas of planning and scheduling, resources management, estimating and progress reporting.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $127,400 to $153,275, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to applicants who are Nunavut Inuit.
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
This posting will remain open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.