This employment opportunity is open to all applicants.
As a member of the Student Support Team, the Student Support Assistant assists in program adaptations or accommodations as planned with the education staff.
Specific duties are assigned by the Principal in consultation with the designated Student Support Teacher to assist the student(s) in accessing educational programs in classrooms, the school, and the school community.
The Student Support Assistant assists in the delivery of educational program, works toward developing independence skills and attitude in the students with whom they work, and assists with designated students as directed by the teacher. The incumbent assists in the transportation, personal care and movement of the designated students; checks and cleans prosthetic devices or aids, such as wheelchairs, and advises when repairs are required. The incumbent also provides interpretive help as required; keeps a written daily record of activities and observations and monitors specified student behaviours.
The successful candidate should have completed Adult Basic Education equivalent to grade 12 or higher. The incumbent must have good oral and written communication skills in French, as well as basic computer skills. Courses or workshops in methods and strategies for students requiring support, as well as First Aid courses and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training would be considered an asset.
This is a Highly Sensitive Position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, along with a clear Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
The Official Languages of Nunavut are Inuktut, English and French. Applicants may submit their resume in any of the official languages of Nunavut. Fluency in more than one of Nunavut’s official languages would be considered an asset. Knowledge of Inuit communities, culture, land, Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit, Inuktut and experience working in a northern cross-cultural environment are also considered assets.
Acceptable combinations of education and experience may be considered for this position. We encourage you to apply if you have equivalent years of education and/or experience equal to the education and experience requirements listed above.
An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
- Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.