You are here
Payroll Specialist (Re-advertisement)
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-19-024 Payroll Specialist - 3 Year Term (Re-advertisement)
Based out of Baker Lake, Nunavut and reporting to the Manager, Payroll, Pension and Benefits, the Payroll Specialist will coordinate the planning and organization of day-to-day work within the Payroll division. The position will also be accountable for collaborating with the Manager, Payroll, Pension and Benefits to ensure all employees are paid on time and accurately, that all pay queries are dealt with quickly and professionally and that relationships with outside service providers and government agencies are maintained.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- • Full cycle bi-weekly payroll with up to 250 hourly union and excluded employees; including timesheet audits, verifying, balancing and adjusting entries from the electronic Time & Attendance system for payroll imports.
- • Ensures adherence to Nunavut Public Service Act, Payroll Legislation, Labour Standards, Collective Agreements, Corporate Policy and Payroll best practices.
- • Ensures calculations for pay adjustments, retro payments and other special payments such as severance, lieu of notice, and banked time adjustments are accurate and are paid in the prescribed time period.
- • Works with the Manager, Payroll, Pension and Benefits to coordinate all year-end activities for Payroll as well as the processing and filing of all year-end tax forms and summaries.
- • Identifies, analyses of, and assists in implementing process improvements in the Payroll Department.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Post-Secondary Diploma in Accounting, Business Administration or other applicable discipline, from an accredited Canadian university or equivalent.
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner Designation.
- Five (5) years progressive full cycle payroll experience, including year-end and two (2) years supervisory experience.
- Proven ability to work with in-house packaged payroll software.
- Experience interpreting collective agreements.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe and the internet.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Certified Payroll Manager Designation.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $85,488 to $99,157, a northern living allowance of $24,381 per annum, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to applicants who are Nunavut Inuit.
To apply send your application by email to email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
This posting will remain open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.