This is a Highly Sensitive Position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, along with a clear Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
This employment opportunity is open to all applicants.
Reporting to the Director Clinical Services, the Nurse Manager Surgical Services provides leadership, authority and accountability for the nursing practice and delivery of care to patients and families in the Operating Room. The Nurse Manager collaborates with patient, family, health care team, and other hospital services to ensure the effective provision of Surgical Services. The Nurse Manager is also a member of the team that directly assesses patient status and responds to actual or potential health problems, plans and performs interventions; and evaluates patient outcomes following standards, guidelines and scope of professional nursing practice, with the intention of maintaining or regaining patient health.
The Nurse Manager provides leadership and supervision to all clinical and support positions in the clinical area of Surgical Services. The incumbent is responsible for collaborating with other health care professionals, paraprofessionals and other stakeholders (e.g. City of Iqaluit, other GN Department, community non-governmental organizations) who may be involved in providing care to plan, implement, review, and evaluate Surgical Services. This position has a direct impact on the delivery of services to patients, their families, and the general community. As a regional referral centre for all communities on Baffin Island, the incumbent’s decisions and recommendations will result in the delivery of timely, accurate, effective and efficient health care services.
As an integral member of the Iqaluit Health Services (IHS) Joint Management Team, the incumbent will participate in decision –making and recommendations which will affect health services delivery across HIS. Examples of this include the planning, implementation, review and evaluation of budgets for Emergency Services, participation in the planning, implementation, review and evaluation process for Surgical Services and HIS in general.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities are typically acquired through:
- An undergraduate degree or diploma (with equivalencies) in nursing.
- Five years clinical experience as an RN in Surgical Services
- Three years management experience involving supervision of staff and budget management in a role(s) of similar scope and span of control.
- Registration with the RNANT/NU
- The incumbent must attend/successfully complete the Neonatal Resuscitation Program, Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) within six months of hire. These mandatory certifications are to be renewed as per course guidelines for renewal ;
- A certificate in health administration or equivalent health management course is an asset;
- The ability to communicate in more than one of Nunavut’s official language is an asset.
The Official Languages of Nunavut are Inuktitut (Inuinnaqtun), English and French. The ability to communicate in more than one of Nunavut’s official languages is an asset. Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset.
An Eligibility List may be created for all future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.