Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC 21-009 Manager, Protection, Control and Metering
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Director, Operations the Manager, Protection, Control and Metering is accountable for the planning, management and provision of all protection & control, automation and metering services for the Corporation. The position will act as the operations lead on protection, control and metering activities and ensures all work performed by the section meets all applicable codes and standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes, schedules, assigns and supervises employee activities engaged in protection, control, automation and metering while ensuring safe and efficient operations.
- Plans all equipment maintenance to conform to applicable codes and standards.
- Schedules Protection and Control (P&C) related equipment maintenance, repairs, and upgrades, and capital projects.
- Manages Supervisory Control and Data Acquisitions (SCADA) activities.
- Provides guidance on protective relaying systems and metering maintenance, techniques, tools and standards.
- Ensures all metering activities adhere to Measurement Canada and utility industry standards.
- Ensures accurate meter data, meter information, and support is provided to the Customer Care department.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Five years of protection and control experience in a utility setting.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in diesel generated power and control settings.
- Experience with GE Multilin relay protection systems.
- Experience in updating and maintaining Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng) designation.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation.
- Project management experience in the areas of planning and scheduling, resources management, estimating, and progress reporting.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
- Diploma in Electrical Technology.
- Seven years of protection and control experience in a utility setting.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $121,534.40 to $145,163.20 a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is NOT included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by March 12, 2021.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.