Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-19-047 Manager, Production (re-advertisement)
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Director of Operations, the Manager, Production is accountable for overseeing the day-to-day operations of all twenty five (25) diesel power generating plants across the territory of Nunavut. This position works closely with the Production team across the territory to ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electricity to QEC customers, while continuously promoting industry best practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the safe and reliable operation of the Corporation’s power plants through the supervision and provision of guidance to the Production Supervisors, Operations Trainor’s and plant operations staff throughout the territory.
- Coordinates with both the Production and Maintenance Supervisors to ensure the annual plant maintenance program is completed.
- Assists with updating Operations One Line Diagrams, Unit Isolation Schematics and Site Plans for generating stations.
- Liaises with equipment suppliers on operating concerns, problems, defects relating to new or upgraded generating equipment.
- Develops, maintains, tracks and reports on the annual Operations budget.
- Adapts departmental processes and procedures to comply with regulatory changes.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Inter-provincial Red Seal trade certification as an Industrial Electrician, Power Systems Electrician, Heavy Equipment Technician or relevant utilities trade discipline.
- Seven (7) years of post certification relevant trades experience in a utilities setting with four (4) years experience in a supervisory role.
- Extensive experience in the production of electricity.
- Comprehensive understanding of diesel generating facilities procedures.
- Experience in preparing capital and operating budgets.
- Project management experience in the areas of planning and scheduling, resources management, estimating and progress reporting.
- Valid drivers’ license and satisfactory drivers abstract.
- Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) or Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) is an asset.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $119,142 to $142,313, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to applicants who are Nunavut Inuit.
To apply send your application by email to email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
This posting will remain open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.