Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
Manager, Business Planning QEC-19-058
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Affairs, the Manager, Business Planning, is responsible for supporting the development, coordination, and management of the Corporation’s strategic planning, policies and procedures. Additionally, the position is also responsible for researching Nunavut public policy, as it relates to territorial energy requirements, public opinion tracking and engagement, corporate ethical issues, and corporate governance policies. The position also evaluates and revises existing policies and programs ensuring alignment with the Corporation’s mandate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assesses proposed policies and projects and identifies potential political, legal, social, economic, and financial impacts; determines performance indicators and recommends modifications as required.
- Prepares Ministerial briefing materials, correspondence and speaking notes.
- Develops and coordinates documents requested by the Legislative Assembly, such as responses to recommendations of Standing Committees in conjunction with the Director, Corporate Affairs and appropriate managers.
- Evaluates existing policies and programs to determine their consistency and effectiveness in meeting corporate and government-wide priorities, while soliciting, analyzing and integrating input from appropriate managers and staff.
- Prepares and edits official submissions, including requests for decisions, option and discussion papers, and information items, intended for senior management, the Board of Directors, Executive Council and Financial Management Board; the Corporate Plan; and research reports as well as special correspondence, as required.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Political Science, Environmental Science, Economics or related discipline.
- Five (5) years of experience in program delivery, public relations, or policy development and analysis, preferably in the utility industry, two (2) years of which must be in the development and supervision of staff.
- Coursework in Regulatory/Project Management, and Leadership.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $97,734 to $115,011, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, and a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to applicants who are Nunavut Inuit.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.