Entrusted with supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut, through both traditional and alternative sources, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) offers many opportunities for those seeking to convert their skills and expertise into professional success. Sounds like you? Join our team. Wide-open spaces, rewarding work in a variety of settings, and the chance to contribute to the well-being of all Nunavummiut will bring new energy to your career – now and in the future.
This casual position would be an exciting growth opportunity for a highly motivated, innovative individual with manual skills, who enjoys physical work and wants to learn about plant practices and processes.
Reporting to the Operations Supervisor, but comfortable working with minimal supervision, you will carry out a wide variety of material-handling, cleaning and routine general labour activities, while ensuring adherence to QEC’s Health and Safety codes and practices. As a Junior Operator, you may also assist Plant Operators in the daily routine of plant operations, maintenance and upkeep, and record-keeping.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Performing general maintenance of buildings and plant equipment, including oil and filter changes, sample tests, and other routine scheduled maintenance;
- Cleaning plant and surrounding grounds;
- Moving, sorting and piling materials and products, either manually or using powered equipment;
- Assisting Operations and Maintenance staff in operating, repairing and maintaining plant equipment;
- Performing general duties such as basic construction, painting and other manual tasks;
- Pumping out berms;
- Performing digging for various projects;
- Sanding and painting plant equipment;
- Requesting emergency and other repairs and/or replacement;
- Coordinating, with Plant Operators, the preparation of waste material for the annual sealift;
- Performing housekeeping duties to ensure a clean, secure and safe work environment; and
- Maintaining the Plant Yard and Fuel Berm to a high level of operational readiness and cleanliness.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- A Grade 12 education (minimum), preferably with vocational education related to power generation or distribution;
- Experience in the production and distribution of power;
- Knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and Safety Data Sheet (SDS), backed by current training or willingness to complete training at the earliest opportunity;
- A valid Class 5 driver’s licence and a clear driver’s abstract;
- Excellent verbal and written communication, problem-solving and analytical skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships;
- Ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision;
- Manual skills to complete basic repairs; and
- Ability to do heavy and overhead lifting, wear safety equipment and work at heights, in noisy environments and in adverse weather conditions.
- Knowledge of the Nunavut culture, language and land; and
- Ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive salary ranging from of $65,228 to $72,987 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $15,016 per annum. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is not available.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
Apply in writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.