You are here
Entrusted with supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut, through both traditional and alternative sources, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) offers many opportunities for those seeking to convert their skills and expertise into professional success. Sounds like you? Join our team. Wide-open spaces, rewarding work in a variety of settings, and the chance to contribute to the well-being of all Nunavummiut will bring new energy to your career – now and in the future.
IQALUIT, NU – Ref. No. QEC-18-045
If your skills as an Electrical Engineer encompass all functions of project management and control, and you can liaise effectively with internal and external stakeholders to deliver on-time results, we should talk.
Reporting to the Manager of Electrical Engineering, you will provide technical and electrical system design services throughout the project cycle – from conceptual design through to commissioning – while ensuring alignment with industry and corporate safety and other standards, policies and procedures. You will select materials and supplies, define design criteria and specifications, and stamp drawings and documents. This is a great opportunity to showcase your critical thinking, creativity and ability to balance competing priorities and resources to meet rapidly changing business needs, address major design issues and new engineering problems, and modify project designs in response to specific field conditions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Preparing assessment studies and providing detailed design and project costing for electrical system upgrades and construction of new facilities;
- Preparing tender specifications and documents, technical drawings and cost estimates for projects;
- Liaising with consultants and contractors to ensure effective construction project planning;
- Performing on-site electrical inspections during construction projects;
- Preparing cost analyses and working with the Project Accountant to ensure projects are on budget and on schedule;
- Providing rationales for cost over-runs or adjustments to project timelines;
- Coordinating with Finance to ensure material resources are in place for project launch;
- Researching and developing electrical technical and system standards;
- Answering technical questions from other departments and contacts; and
- Ensuring the technical quality of work performed by Engineers-in-Training.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering and 5 years of engineering experience in the utility industry;
- Experience in full scope project management, and in designing and costing engineering projects;
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with eligibility for NAPEG registration;
- Excellent knowledge of power system analysis software (e.g., ETAP, SCADA, RTU, PLC), control schematics, protective relay settings, single-line diagram metering/protection, and equipment layouts;
- Commitment to working in a team environment while being able to work independently;
- Excellent written and oral communication and analytical skills, enabling you to synthesize and present information for a variety of audiences;
- Strong judgment and decision-making, planning and time management skills, to lead specialized projects with multiple stakeholders;
- Excellent research skills using various methods; and
- Proficiency with applications such as MS Office, Adobe, and the internet.
- Project Management training or certification;
- Diesel power generation;
- Northern experience;
- Knowledge of Nunavut, including the language, land and culture; and
- Ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive salary ranging from $102,433 to $121,426 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $15,016 per annum. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is available.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
Apply in writing, by September 21, 2018, to: email@example.com
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. qec.nu.ca