This is a Highly Sensitive Position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, along with a clear Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
As per HRM Directive 518, this employment opportunity is restricted to Nunavut Inuit in Qikiqtarjuak location only.
Under the direction of the Principal, the Custodian is responsible for providing essential services for maintaining a safe, secure, comfortable and sanitary environment in the School. The Custodian ensures the school room temperature levels are normal, water and fuel supplies are adequate and the school is cleaned. The position has great impact in helping the school be opened on continuous basis when the duties are performed.
Custodian ensures that the building is readied for occupancy each day and will also maintain a clean safe environment by daily sweeping or vacuuming all floor areas, weekly scrubbing of all non-carpeted areas in the school and cleaning walls, handrails and other surface areas as necessary and performing other duties as assigned by the Principal.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of cleaning techniques, use of specific cleaners for various surfaces and experience in using cleaning equipment, such as industrial vacuum cleaners, buffers etc.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position may reasonably be obtain by someone who has completed Grade 6 education or possesses equivalent life experience.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatugangit is an asset.
An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to Igloolik_HR@gov.nu.ca. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.