You are here
Control and Automation System Specialist - Casual
Entrusted with supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut, through both traditional and alternative sources, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) offers many opportunities for those seeking to convert their skills and expertise into professional success. Sounds like you? Join our team. Wide-open spaces, rewarding work in a variety of settings, and the chance to contribute to the well-being of all Nunavummiut will bring new energy to your career – now and in the future.
Control AND Automation SYSTEM Specialist - CASUAL
Are you a Professional Engineer with a proven utility or industrial system background, comfortable working both on your own and in a team? Can you hit the ground running – from reading schematics to leading specialized, multi-stakeholder projects? If that’s the case, read on about this great 4-month term position (with possible extension).
Reporting to the Manager, Electrical Engineering, you will be responsible for all protection and control activities, including programmable logic controllers (PLCs), protection configuration and troubleshooting, and design for new diesel and alternative power plant installations. This will see you designing automated control systems, electrical systems, distribution systems, renewable energy systems, and various other power generation systems. You will interact extensively with the Operations staff member responsible for control and automation systems, to review existing operational performance and develop best strategies and practices, while ensuring overall compliance with safety and other standards, policies and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Performing detailed electrical engineering design and analysis for new installations, modifications of plant main control panels (switchgear, etc.), electric motors with VFDs, PLCs, Gen-sets instrumentations, exciters, voltage regulators, breakers and associated controls;
Resolving complex electrical issues and supporting investigations and emergency field repairs;
Providing technical expertise and project management services to support capital projects during commissioning;
Preparing preliminary and final detailed designs for PLC, SCADA and related Communication systems and automation;
Supporting the departmental design quality assurance process and performing independent reviews of design work completed by designers, engineering consultants, and CAD technicians;
Providing technical and operational support and advice to field personnel on issues related to electrical, PLC, automation and communications systems, coordination studies, relaying / protection settings, etc.; and
Serving as Project Monitor, performing on-site supervision and inspections, performing or witnessing commissioning, and preparing progress reports and technical reviews.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Instrumentation or a related field;
- Four (4) years of utility or industrial system experience, working with PLCs, automation, telecommunications and/or controls;
- Experience in commissioning capital projects at generating stations and substations;
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with eligibility for registration in NAPEG;
- Strong knowledge of PLCs, preferably with Allen Bradley systems, Compact/Control Logix, and HMI programming and configuration;
- Strong knowledge of Woodward Easy Gen, LS5, DSLC-2 and Basler’s AVR control (DECS-150/250);
- Strong knowledge of numerical relays and protection system coordination with GE Multiline relays;
- Strong time management, planning, administration, analytical and decision-making skills;
- Ability to balance competing priorities and manage material resources;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to create and present information for diverse audiences;
- Proficiency with computer applications, including MS Office, Adobe, and the internet.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
- Project management training or certification;
- Experience in diesel power generation;
- Experience in power generation and/or distribution system in remote off-grid communities;
- Knowledge of Nunavut, including the language, land and culture; and
- Ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive salary range of $103,467.00 to 132,229.50 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $15,016 per annum. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is available.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
Note: Applicants for this competition may be considered for future employment with QEC.
Apply in writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.