This employment opportunity is open to all applicants.
Reporting to the Supervisor of Payroll, the Compensation & Benefits Officer provides a wide range of compensation and benefit advisory and processing services to the employees and managers of the Government of Nunavut (GN). The incumbent of this position will interpret, implement, and ensure GN compliance with federal and territorial legislation and regulations, collective agreements, the Nunavut Public Service Act and regulations, the Human Resource Manual and Excluded and Senior Manager Handbooks. Ensuring that employees receive their appropriate compensation in a timely manner and can access their benefits entitlements in a prompt, courteous and consistent way is an important part of this position.
The Compensation and Benefits Officer will work in two main areas - payroll and benefits/pension. The incumbent will be responsible for, but is not limited to: entering and validating pay from departments; preparing severance calculations and payments; interpreting salary treatment in conjunction with applicable legislation, collective agreement, and handbooks; preparing documentation packages for new employees; providing information to assist employees in completing payroll/benefits forms; advising and processing applications for long term disability submissions; performing retro calculations, delayed acting forms, and salary step increases. Often the incumbent will be asked to find creative solutions to complex situations.
The successful candidate for this position will have a High school diploma plus a minimum two (2) years’ of relevant payroll or finance experience in a computerized environment.
The Official Languages of Nunavut are Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun, English and French Fluency in Inuktitut or Inuinnaqtun is an asset for this position. Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered.
An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to GNHR@gov.nu.ca. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.