You are here
Community Social Services Worker Trainee - Re-Advertisement
This is a Highly Sensitive Position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, along with a clear Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
This employment opportunity is open to all applicants.
Over a three year internship, the incumbent would gradually take on the duties of the target position through training and development and on the job training, mentorship and job shadowing. The incumbent provides statutory and non-statutory departmental programs delivered within the community which includes Child and Family Services (Act), Adoptions (Act), Guardianship (Act), Children’s residential care, foster program, Intervention services, Crisis emergency suicide response, counseling, Adult residential care program Family Violence response, relocations, and local safe home development.
The incumbent promotes and enhances the overall health of individuals and families through the provision of both statutory and non-statutory programs offered I Nunavut communities and is considered to be an essential service. The position’s responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following areas:
- Child welfare
- Adult Services
- Services for the Elderly and Adults with Developmental Challenges
- Prevention work
- Adoptions – Departmental / Private and Step Parent / International
Much of the work done by the incumbent will be completed within isolated communities with limited supports. The ability to work with, and support other disciplines in promoting the overall health of both the family and community will be a vital part of the incumbent’s role as a community social services worker. As a professional in the community the incumbent will also represent the Department of Family Services in working with other associated professional bodies including (but not limited to) the RCMP, Mental Health, Medical Personnel, Education, Justice and various Departmental programs and services.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A grade 12 Diploma
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Oral and written communication skills in English and Inuktitut
- Ability to read and write reports and a strong working knowledge of MS Office programs (i.e. Excel, Word, Power point and Outlook)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- A class 5 driver’s license or ability to get one within four months from beginning of employment