You are here
ASSISTANT OPERATOR - Part-time
Reporting to the Operations Supervisor, you will assist the Plant Superintendent in maintaining safe and continuous power generation and distribution, as well as in integrating production and maintenance requirements of all mechanical and electrical equipment under his jurisdiction. As an Assistant Operator, you will be expected to operate and monitor the diesel powerhouse and associated systems to provide safe, reliable and cost-effective electrical service to Qulliq Energy customers in the community, and to assume an acting role as Plant Superintendent during absences or as required. Your ability to communicate in both Inuktitut and English will prove invaluable as you respond to customer inquiries and complaints, take action to resolve issues, and provide effective communication between the Corporation and the community served, including individual customers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Operating the plant to provide the most efficient use of equipment;
- Performing minor preventive maintenance or emergency repairs, as required;
- Monitoring fuel transfers to ensure safe, expedient delivery according to IAW fuel transfer procedures;
- Identifying complex issues and referring them to the Plant Superintendent and/or Area Operations Supervisor;
- Installing new service drops, gathering meter data and issuing documentation to area accounts department;
- Performing duties in compliance with Occupational Health & Safety and WHMIS legislation;
- Safeguarding corporate assets and interests in the community;
- Managing plant inventories, including shipping, receiving and monitoring;
- Re-ordering routine material for plant operations, maintenance and staff;
- Assisting area maintenance or contract maintenance crews in completing projects with regard to scheduling, monitoring and actual hands-on assistance;
- Ensuring that all safety and emergency equipment is maintained to prescribed standards;
- Providing information to the Plant Superintendent and/or Area Operations Supervisor for the preparation and submission of budget, variances and other performance measurements;
- Compiling raw data and summaries for Regional staff;
- Completing month-end, housekeeping, outage and other required reports;
- Accepting payments, transmitting cash and initiating collection procedures;
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships with community and local business representatives.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- High school education – minimum Grade 10; Grade 12 desirable.
- Experience in power production and distribution;
- Manual skills to complete basic repairs;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally;
- Self-motivation and ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Basic bookkeeping and administrative skills;
- A valid Class 5 driver’s licence;
- Ability to communicate in English and Inuktitut.
- A related journeyman certificate in the electrical/mechanical trades, or equivalent configuration, or related education and experience;
- Computer skills.
We offer a competitive salary ranging from $44,316 to $53,277 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $20,673. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Staff housing is not available.
Preference will be given to persons enrolled under the Nunavut Agreement.
Apply in writing, by March 23rd, 2017, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.