This position is considered a Position of Trust and a Criminal Records Check is required.
Nunavut Arctic College is hiring an Adult Educator for the Community Learning Centre in Gjoa Haven, Nunavut. The Adult Educator is responsible for planning, organizing, delivering and evaluating educational programming for adult students in the community. Reporting to the Coordinator Community Programs, Kitikmeot region, the Adult Educator will identify and document education needs, provide instruction to students, support instructional staff, provide academic and career development counselling to students, and assist with managing the staff and the administrative functions of the Community Learning Centre. The incumbent will work with various individuals, organizations, companies and government departments in the community to determine and provide adult education and training needs.
The Adult Educator is required to teach adults in various subjects. Applicants must have completed high school and have a certificate in Adult Education plus 1 full academic year of teaching experience as an adult educator in a post-secondary setting. The incumbent is required to provide personal, career, and educational counseling and be culturally sensitive. Proficiency in Math, English, and/or Science, Social Studies and computer software application is required. Proficiencies of those subjects can be acquired through the high school system. Computer software application knowledge must include word processing and spreadsheets. Verbal and written communication skills in Inuktitut would be considered an asset. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills are essential for this position.
Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset.
Equivalencies that consist of a combination of education, knowledge, skills and abilities to formal education and experience requirements may be considered.
Current indeterminate Government of Nunavut employees, who apply and are successful on this term position competition, may be offered a competitive transfer assignment for the duration of the term.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to NACHR@arcticcollege.com Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.