Basic Communication Principles
- Models of communication
- Factors affecting communication
- The W.I.I.F.M. Factor
- Persuasion techniques
- Barriers to effective communication
- How to deal with receiver reactions
- Overcoming resistance
- Aggressive, passive and assertive
- How to be assertive to get your message across
- What does your body language say about you?
- Learn how subtle changes can help you appear more confident and assertive and inspire more respect
- Learn how to avoid creating difficult situations and reactions by becoming more self-aware
Active Listening – The Critical Half of Communication
- Active Listening Self-Assessment
- Intentional Listening and Responding
- Understanding, then being understood
- Using probing questions
- Clarifying, reflecting, paraphrasing, responding
This online course will be delivered over two half-day sessions primarily in the following two regions:
Kitikmeot (1:00-4:00pm MST)
**Employees in the Qikiqtaaluk region may still register but be advised that the course would run from 3:00-6:00pm.
This online course will be delivered using Microsoft Teams. To participate, the following is mandatory and the responsibility of the registered participant:
- MS Teams - accessible on your GN desktop or laptop computer (if you are not sure, contact Helpdesk to set-up and/or confirm)
- Internet connection (either on the GN network or, for example, Qiniq, wingle stick, turbo stick)
The following is highly recommended:
- Being available to test-run MS Teams on your computer (prior to the course)
- Use of a webcam, microphone and headset (attached to the device being used to take the course)*
- A quiet environment with few distractions
- Being prepared and comfortable to trouble-shoot (as needed) during the session
- Taking the time beforehand to become more familiarized using MS Teams; here is a link with a downloadable guide: https://download.microsoft.com/download/D/9/F/D9FE8B9E-22F5-47BF-A1AB-09...
- More information is available under the “help” box located in MS Teams (bottom left-hand side of the menu side tab).
*If you do not have a webcam, microphone, or headset you may still participate, but you will need to use the live chat function in MS Teams if you have questions.
Login information and a brief test link will be set up for participants prior to the course date to ensure functionality and familiarity.