You are here

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Certificate

A marriage certificate is needed to:

  • Prove your marriage is legal
  • Ensure that the rights of spouses and children are respected
  • Apply for certain social benefits
  • Settle an estate
  • To change your surname to that of your spouse or to use a hyphenated surname

You can get a marriage certificate if you are:

  • Recorded as both people on the marriage registration

  • A legal representative of either person getting married

  • The parents or guardian of a person who was under 18 years of age at the time of marriage
  • Children of the marriage to prove parentage, age, or birthplace of parent, for legal purposes
  • An agent, or any other person, on the written authorization of either person getting married
  • A person who requires the certificate for use in a court of law, for adoption, or for settlement of an estate
  • An officer of the Crown, for official purposes
  • A government department approved by the Registrar of Vital Statistics, when required for legal or other legitimate purposes


Get a Marriage Certificate

The Department of Health can provide past marriage certificates dating back to the creation of Nunavut on April 1st, 1999.

To get a marriage certificate, fill out the Application for Certificate form. Make sure all of your information is correct.

The fee for all marriage certificates (large and wallet size) is $10.00 per certificate and can be paid by cheque or money order (payable to the Government of Nunavut).

Mail completed forms to the following address:

Nunavut Vital Statistics
Department of Health
Box 889
Rankin Inlet, NU
X0C 0G0

Phone: (867) 645-8001
Fax: (867) 645-8092
Toll Free: (800) 661-0833