Staff Directory

You are here

Importing alcohol from outside Nunavut

22 January 2021

Public Service Announcement

Importing alcohol from outside Nunavut

Did you know that if you live in a restricted or an unrestricted community, you can bring back up to three litres of spirits, nine litres of wine, or 26 litres of beer (72 x 355 millilitre containers) to Nunavut? A liquor import permit is needed to bring in more than this amount. If you live in a restricted community, you will also need approval from your local Alcohol Education Committee (AEC) before importing alcohol.

Import permits are available from your region’s liquor permit office:

Iqaluit NULC store
Phone: 867-975-6869
Fax: 867-979-5836
Cambridge Bay – Department of Finance (Helen Maksagak Centre)
Phone: 867-983-4048
Rankin Inlet – Siniktarvik Building
Phone: 867-645-8576
Fax: 867-645-3327
Hamlet of Kugluktuk
(Kugluktuk only)
Phone: 867-982-6509

Without an import permit, liquor stores in other provinces will not process your order. Please note that liquor import permits are non-refundable and are valid for only one order. They must be used within three weeks of purchase date.

You can also buy alcohol within Nunavut without an import permit through the Nunavut Liquor and Cannabis Commission (NULC), by phone at 867-645-8475 or toll free at
855-844-5488, by fax at 867-645-3327, or by email at Please note that the NULC has recently updated their order email.


Media Contact:

Weichien Chan
Manager, Communications
Department of Finance