Staff Directory

You are here

Importing alcohol from outside Nunavut

10 January 2020

Public Service Announcement

Importing alcohol from outside Nunavut

If you live in an unrestricted community in Nunavut, you can bring back up to three litres of spirits, nine litres of wine, or 26 litres of beer (72 x 355 millilitre containers or 48 x 500 millilitre containers) to Nunavut. A liquor import permit is needed to bring in more than this amount. The unrestricted communities in Nunavut are Baker Lake, Cambridge Bay, Grise Fiord, Iqaluit, Kugluktuk, Rankin Inlet and Taloyoak.

If you live in a restricted community in Nunavut, you will need approval from your local Alcohol Education Committee (AEC) and a liquor import permit before importing alcohol. The restricted communities in Nunavut are Arctic Bay, Cape Dorset, Chesterfield Inlet, Clyde River, Hall Beach, Igloolik, Kimmirut, Naujaat, Pond Inlet, Qikiqtarjuaq, Resolute Bay and Whale Cove.

Iqaluit NULC store
Phone: 867-975-6869
Fax: 867-979-5836
Cambridge Bay – Department of Finance
(Helen Maksagak Centre)

Phone: 867-983-4048
Rankin Inlet –
Siniktarvik Building

Phone: 867-645-8576
Fax: 867-645-3327
Hamlet of Kugluktuk
Phone: 867-982-6509

Without an import permit, liquor stores in other provinces will not process your order. Import permits should be purchased in person, but if you need to order your permit by fax or email, you will need to include a valid photo ID. You can pay with cash, cheque, credit card or debit card.

If you want to buy alcohol within Nunavut, you can do so without an import permit through the Nunavut Liquor and Cannabis Commission (NULC) in person, by phone at 867-645-8475 or toll free at 855-844-5488, by fax at 867-645-3327, or by email at


Media Contact:

Weichien Chan
Manager, Communications
Department of Finance