The Senior Fuel Subsidy is a program that helps to offset the high cost of heating fuel for seniors who own and live in their homes. Applicants may be eligible for reimbursements on up to a maximum number of liters of fuel as determined by this program. The maximum allowable subsidy is different depending on where the applicant or applicants live. The subsidy ranges from 2,500 and 3,175 liters of fuel per home. An income assessment is done to establish whether your net income of the applicant or applicants is within the program limits.
To be eligible for this subsidy, applicants must:
- Permanently reside in Nunavut
- Be 60 years of age or older
- Own and live in the home for which the subsidy is being requested*
- Meet the allowable established income threshold
- NOT be in receipt of social assistance
- Apply each year
* Please note that:
Homeowner(s) with a total net income up to and including $75,000 may be eligible for a 100% fuel subsidy.
Homeowner(s) with a total net income greater than $75,000 and less than or equal to $100,000 may be eligible for a 50% fuel subsidy.
Homeowner(s) with a total net income greater than $100,000 are not eligible for the fuel subsidy.
How to Apply:
Community Income Assistance Workers can provide application forms. The following documents will be required to complete the assessment:
- Completed application form;
- Statement & Authorization form;
- Birth Certificate and Social Insurance Number for all individuals named on the home ownership documents;
- Proof of home ownership (title, deed or mortgage documents);
- Income Tax Notice of Assessment assessment from the previous year for all individuals named on the home ownership documents.
- Applicants who are denied the subsidy can appeal decisions within 30 days to the Regional Director of Family Services for the region in which you live.
For help and information, contact your Income Assistance Regional Office:
Kivalliq (Rankin Inlet): 867-645-5040 extension 1604 or 1-800-953-8516
Qikiqtani (Panniqtuq): 867-473-2615; 867-473-8800 or 1-800-567-1514
Kitikmeot (Cambridge Bay): 867-983-4082 or 1-800-661-0845