Staff Directory

You are here

Family Violence

In an emergency, call your local RCMP detachment.


If you are a victim of abuse, and live in Cambridge Bay, Iqaluit, Kugaaruk, Kugluktuk or Rankin Inlet, you can go directly to your local shelter.


If you know of a child in need of protection, it is your duty to report this to the police. Call your local RCMP, Community Social Services Worker, or tell a teacher, nurse or social worker.


If you are a victim of family violence, contact your Community Social Services Worker to access counseling and support.


There are several options available for the protection of children and families:


Family Violence Shelters

Nunavut currently has Family Violence Shelters in the following communities:


  • Cambridge Bay, St. Michael’s Crisis Shelter: (867) 983-5232
  • Iqaluit, Qimavvik Shelter: (867) 979-4500
  • Kugaaruk Family Violence Centre (867) 769-6100
  • Kugluktuk Women's Crises Centre (867) 982-3210
  • Rankin Inlet, Kataujaq Society Shelter: (867) 645-2214


If there is no Family Violence Shelter where you live, the police or your Community Social Services Worker will take you to the nearest place of safety.


In every community there are professionals whose job it is to ensure your protection following a family violence crisis.


Contacts for RCMP and Social Services in your community.


Contacts for Family Violence Intervention Workers in your community.