This workshop is designed for those whose job requires them to proofread and edit their own or others' written work. Those new to the skills will gain a working ability to proofread, including knowledge of the marks and techniques. Experienced proofreaders will benefit from this course as a refresher and also from the practice and group commentaries.
You'll learn the principles of plain language editing, practice in an enjoyable group environment, and receive immediate feedback on your progress. Through group corrections, individual practice and discussion, you'll come away with the confidence to proof and edit even the most important documents.
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Explain why proofreading and editing are important, and assess the consequences of written error
- Improve your "proofing eye" through practice
- Use the six key proofreading categories
- Use basic proofreading marks
- Avoid common spelling errors
- Analyze and improve written content
- Streamline sentence and paragraph structure for clarity and readability
- Eliminate "fillers"
- Improve and energize writing style by eliminating the passive voice
Time: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm