The Small Business Support Program provides small businesses, community organizations and individuals with funding to invest in new business attraction, retention, expansion and support during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Businesses or entrepreneurs typically with less than $500,000 in gross sales or fewer than ten employees are eligible to apply. The funding is available to businesses from all sectors including but not limited to artist, craftspeople, retail, tourism, and harvesters.
Applicants must be in good standing and have no outstanding accounting or other contractual obligations with the Department of Economic Development and Transportation.
Business relief funding is available to subsidise eligible business expenses including insurance or licensing fees, office rentals, utilities or non-refundable business expenses for goods that are unusable due to the pandemic.
The funding may not be used to compensate for lost income or revenue, tax remittances, loan payments and/or owner drawings.
Funding may be used to subsidise costs incurred between November 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022.
Applicants must submit a completed application package that includes:
- Small Business Support Program Application
- A short explanation of how the business has been affected by the pandemic.
Applications are being accepted until March 31, 2022.
Completed application packages can be submitted through local Community Economic Development Officers (where available) or the relevant Regional Community Operations Office.
Businesses and entrepreneurs can also contact their Regional Economic Development Office for more information and assistance with the application process:
Kitikmeot - Community Economic Development Office
P.O. Box 316, Kugluktuk, NU X0B 0E0
Toll-free phone: 1-844-475-1166
Phone: (867) 982-7445
Fax: (867) 982-3204
Kivalliq - Community Economic Development Office
P.O. Box 979, Rankin Inlet, NU X0C 0G0
Toll-free phone: 1-844-737-8627
Phone: (867) 645-8451
Fax: (867) 645-8455
North Baffin - Community Economic Development Office
P.O. Box 389, Pond Inlet, NU X0A 0S0
Toll-free phone: 1-888-899-7338
Phone: (867) 899-7344
Fax: (867) 899-7348
South Baffin - Community Economic Development Office
Manager, Community Economic Development
Economic Development and Transportation
P.O. Box 612, Pangnirtung, NU X0A 0R0
Toll-free phone: 1-844-737-8628
Phone: (867) 473-2661
Fax: (867) 473-2663
Additional Funding Schedules
Through the Grants and Contributions Policy the Small Business Support Program also supports small businesses and entrepreneurs through these funds:
Small Business Opportunities Fund
- aims to help business start-ups and expansions
- includes support for developing business and marketing plans
- also supports new pilot projects, and business and "wind-down"
Entrepreneur Development Fund
- assists business through training and skill development
- eligible training includes accounting, bookkeeping, business start-up, and tourism safety and risk management
- also assists in the establishment of business aftercare programs
Sustainable Livelihood Fund
- supports activity in the tourism, arts & crafts and harvesting sectors
- assistance to overcome immediate legal or bookkeeping problems
- support the purchase of tools and other minor capital items
- helps pay for tourism operators' liability insurance
Applicants must submit a completed Small Business Support Program Application to their local Hamlet Community Economic Development Officer (where available) or the relevant Regional Community Operations Office.