You are here
2019 Qilaut winners
Every year, the Department of Culture and Heritage holds the Qilaut Inuktut songwriting contest, celebrating Nunavut’s vibrant Inuktut music scene while promoting the use of Inuktut in all areas of daily life.
The 2019 Qilaut edition received 26 submissions from across the territory. Songs were judged by a peer-panel on originality, creativity, melody and lyrics. The judges included Millie Hikok, Celina Kalluk, Norman Ishulutak and Sam Tutanuak.
The 2019 Qilaut winning songs are:
- 1st – Quvianarmat – Jo Ellen Etuangat
- 2nd – 6-muaqpat – Becky Han and Tracy May
- 3rd – Pittiaruk Uummatiit – Brenda Anderson
- 4th – Piqatiga – Joey Nowyuk
- 5th – Piqannarijaq – Becky Han and Tracy May
- 6th – Ilakka – Joey Nowyuk
- 7th – Piruqpallialluni – Daniel Taukie
- 8th – Quviasukpunga – Angela Amarualik & Caylan Kunuk
- 9th – Naujaat – Alpha5 (Dave Kaunak, Craig Nanordluk, Troy Alakkanuaq, Albert Amautinuar, Joshua Nanorak)
- 10th – Inuusiq – Alpha5 (Dave Kaunak, Craig Nanordluk, Troy Alakkanuaq, Albert Amautinuar, Joshua Nanorak)
The top three winners receive $5,000, $2,500, and $1,500, respectively, and the seven runners-up receive $500 each. All 10 songs will be professionally recorded, and the CD will be released in February during the Uqausirmut Quviasuutiqarniq celebrations.
Department of Culture and Heritage