You are here
Qilaut is Nunavut's annual Inuktut songwriting contest. The purpose of the contest is to celebrate our vibrant Inuktut music scene and inspire the creation of more original music in Inuktut. This is a Government of Nunavut program intended to strengthen the use of Inuktut in all areas of our lives (as directed by the Inuit Language Protection Act). By sharing your songs, you are contributing to Inuit language and culture!
Each year, Nunavummiut are invited to submit original Inuktut songs to the contest. Ten winners are selected to receive a cash prize and have their song professionally recorded and produced. A CD of the winning songs is released each year during Uqausirmut Quviasuutiqarniq.
CD Launch: February 24, 2017.
Inuktut Birthday Songs CD
In 2014, we released the winners of our birthday songs contest. Here are ten original songs in Inuktut that celebrate birthdays and being alive, along with the songs, Inuktut lyrics, and music sheets.
- Looee Arreak - ULLUMI NALLIUTIVUQ.mp3
- Andrew Morrison - INUULAUQSIMAGAVIT.mp3
- Helena Bolt - QUVIAHUGLUTIT!.mp3
- Miali Coley - TAKUAPIUNA.mp3
- Alooloo Killapik - ALIANAIT NALLIUTISIMAGAVIT.mp3
- David Joanasie - NALIUTIGAVIT QUVIASUGIT.mp3
- Julia Demcheson - ALIANAITTUQATTAQTUQ.mp3
- Apayata Kotierk - ATII ATII ATII PISULIRIT INUUSIRMI.mp3
- Malcolm Kempt - ULLUMI ULLUMI.mp3
- Jennifer Demcheson - ULLUMI QAIQUJAUSIMAGATTA.mp3
Learn the words and music.
- Album booklet (PDF 1.3 M) with lyrics in syllabics and Roman orthography
- Sheet music (PDF 3.7 M) with music for each song and lyrics
All tracks produced, recorded, mixed, and mastered by Chris Coleman of Nuvu Music in Iqaluit. All tracks arranged by Chris Coleman, expect tracks 8 and 10. Tracks 2, 4, and 9 feature the Aqsarniit School Choir, directed by Joselyn Morrison.
For more information about Qilaut or to request CDs, contact Tocasie Burke at 867-975-5528 or firstname.lastname@example.org.