You are here
Pay and Benefits Officer
Pay and Benefits Officer
Department of Finance
Cambridge Bay, Nunavut
Reporting to the Manager, Payroll & Benefits, the incumbent will provide a full range of benefits and payroll services and counselling, and interpretations of Human Resources (HR) policies, collective agreements and benefits entitled to Government of Nunavut (GN) employees.
The incumbent is directly responsible for providing pay and benefit services for approximately 650 permanent and/or casual employees. This position requires a broad understanding of the GN Public Service Act, HR Manual, PSA, HR Manual (HRM), Nunavut Employee Union (NEU) & Federation of Nunavut Teachers (FNT) Collective Agreements, Staffing Guidelines, Superannuation Administration Manual, Benefits Manual and Leave Administration.
This position has a large impact on the satisfaction and retention of current employees through prompt and accurate payroll services, and on past employees through professional termination and pension counselling.
The incumbent should have Grade 12 or GED and one year post-secondary education, or First Year University education and one year directly related experience and the following knowledge, skills & abilities:
All insurance, pension and other benefits provided to employees at all levels. Much of this expertise can be obtained only through the employee’s having obtained certification in benefit administration and completion of Federally sponsored Benefit and Insurance course work. Expertise is required in the use of complex, comprehensive, HR and Payroll computerized systems
Knowledge about the various divisions of departments and the benefits related to staff in those divisions
High level of interpersonal skills
Exercise tact and diplomacy in counselling employees or beneficiaries on what benefit options they are entitled
Good problem solving skills
Find creative solutions to complex situations
Provide functional direction and training to support staff, new pay and benefit staff and administrative staff in departments
Speak and write Inuktitut/Inuinnaqtun is an asset for this position
This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union and has a starting salary of $ 77,142.00 per annum, plus a Northern Allowance of $ 19,716.00 per annum.
REFERENCE: 03-501623 Closing Date: May 2, 2014 (Midnight local time)
SUBSIDIZED STAFF HOUSING IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
ELIGIBILTY LIST MAY BE CREATED FOR THIS POSITION
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Land Claims Beneficiaries.
- Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.