You are here
The Janitor is responsible for providing essential services for maintaining a safe, secure, comfortable and sanitary environment in the School. The janitor ensures the school room temperature levels are normal, water and fuel supplies are adequate and the school is cleaned. The position has great impact in helping the school to be opened on continuous bases when the duties are performed.
Under the direction of the Principal the Janitor ensures that the building is readied for occupancy each day. He or she will also maintain a clean safe environment by daily sweeping or vacuuming all floor areas, weekly scrubbing of all non-carpeted areas in the school and cleaning walls, handrails and other surface areas as necessary and performing other duties as assigned by the principal.
The successful person in this role will have to know cleaning techniques, use of specific cleaners for various surfaces, experience in using cleaning equipment, such as industrial vacuum cleaners, buffers etc. The incumbent must have a clear Criminal Records Check.
Equivalencies that consist of a combination of education, knowledge, skills and abilities to formal education and experience requirements will be considered. Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset. If there is no successful NLCB, this position will be offered as a term position for three years.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Land Claims Beneficiaries.
- Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.