You are here
GN and NEU sign new collective agreement
For Immediate Release GN and NEU sign new collective agreement
IQALUIT, Nunavut (November 23, 2016) – The Government of Nunavut (GN) and the Nunavut Employees Union (NEU) today signed a new collective agreement.
"The GN and NEU worked hard to reach this agreement; one that is fair and meets the needs of our employees. I am very satisfied and thank the NEU for their continued representation on behalf of their members," said Minister of Finance Keith Peterson.
"I am very pleased to have reached a deal that is fair to both parties," said NEU President Bill Fennell.
Highlights of the new agreement include:
- Wage increases of 2 per cent, 1 per cent, 1 per cent and 2 per cent, as of October 1 in each year of the contract, beginning in October 2014.
- Holiday Closure Days to replace Winter Bonus Days.
- Memorandum of understanding (MOU) to provide consistency and clarity for all employees working 12-hour shifts.
- Standardized hours across all correctional facilities.
- New language on how employees who are consulted by telephone or email after regular hours are to be compensated.
Department of Finance
William Fennell Communications
Nunavut Employees Union
867-979-4209, ext. 202