Senior Fuel Subsidy (SFS)
The Senior Fuel Subsidy is a program that helps to offset the high cost of heating fuel for seniors who own and live in their homes. Eligible homeowners are reimbursed for the cost of heating fuel, up to 3,500 litres. An income assessment is done to establish whether the net income of the applicant or applicants is within the program limits.
To be eligible for this subsidy, applicants must:
- Permanently reside in Nunavut
- Be 60 years of age or older
- Own and live in the home for which the subsidy is being requested*
- Meet the allowable established income threshold
- NOT be in receipt of social assistance
- Apply each year
* Please note that:
Homeowner(s) with a total net income up to and including $75,000 may be eligible for a 100% fuel subsidy.
Homeowner(s) with a total net income greater than $75,000 and less than or equal to $100,000 may be eligible for a 50% fuel subsidy.
Homeowner(s) with a total net income greater than $100,000 are not eligible for the fuel subsidy.
How to Apply:
Your local Income Assistance Worker will assist you in the application process. The following documents will be required to complete the assessment:
- Completed application form;
- Statement & Authorization form;
- Birth Certificate and Social Insurance Number for all individuals named on the home ownership documents;
- Proof of home ownership (title, deed or mortgage documents);
- Income Tax Notice of Assessment from the previous year for all individuals named on the home ownership documents.
- Applicants who are denied the subsidy can appeal decisions within 30 days to the Regional Director of Family Services for the region in which you live.
For help and information, contact your Income Assistance Regional Office:
- Kivalliq (Rankin Inlet): 867-645-5040 extension 1604 or 1-800-953-8516
- Qikiqtani (Panniqtuq): 867-473-2615; 867-473-8800 or 1-800-567-1514
- Kitikmeot (Cambridge Bay): 867-983-4082 or 1-800-661-0845