Getting Ready for Employment and Training (G.R.E.A.T.)
What is the G.R.E.A.T. program?
• A 14-week program delivered in partnership by the Department of Family Services and Nunavut Arctic College.
• Clients on Social Assistance may apply and participate as a Productive Choice option.
• Graduates will be more prepared for employment and/or training opportunities.
• Course content: Personal portfolio development, introduction to computers, enhanced essential skills, workplace ethics, interview skills and more!
• Includes a two-week on-the-job work experience that is chosen with students, based on interests and skills.
To support Social Assistance clients to make successful entry into the labour force and become employed and/or pursue further training and education.
Participants in this program will:
• Develop and/or improve the essential skills of reading text, document use, working with numbers, computer use and writing, which are required for most jobs.
• Reflect upon personal and career goals, and identify learning and career opportunities.
• Create an up-to-date resumé and cover letter, and practice interview skills.
• Create a prior learning portfolio that identifies and provides documentation of personal strengths, skills, knowledge and attitudes.
• Know more about employment opportunities by participating in and reflecting upon a mentored on-the-job work experience.
• Conduct effective job searches.
Each participant is eligible for up to $1,400 in training incentives.
Each student earns $10 for a full day of attendance. This is received bi-weekly.
Each student is also eligible for $700 after they have finished the course, if they have not missed more than 10% of class time. In a 14 week program, this is 7 days.
A light breakfast is offered from 8:30 a.m. - 9 a.m. (before class begins).
Will this affect my income assistance? [put in text box]
Incentives issued to participants are not considered income; therefore, money earned is not considered in income assistance calculations.
Where is the G.R.E.A.T. program?
G.R.E.A.T. has been delivered in Kugluktuk, Iqaluit, Rankin Inlet, Arctic Bay, Baker Lake, Gjoa Haven, Igloolik, Pangnirtung and Pond Inlet.
It is currently being delivered in Cape Dorset, Coral Harbour, Taloyoak, Sanikiluaq and Naujaat.
Beginning January 16th, 2017, G.R.E.A.T. will be offered in Clyde River, Qikiqtarjuaq, Kimmirut, Kugaaruk, Hall Beach and Arviat.
For more information
If you are a Social Assistance client and you want to apply for the program, you can talk to your local income assistance worker to learn more.
G.R.E.A.T. Program Coordinator
Karyn Vanden Boomen
Department of Family Services