The Corporate Services(CS) Division is responsible for ensuring that the overall direction of programs and services delivered by the Department of Environment (DOE) reflect priorities of the GN through the effective management and operations of the Department. To achieve this end, CS oversees administrative, financial, and human resource management.
The goals of the Division are consistent with overall departmental goals and objectives contained within the Business Plan. Within this context, Corporate Services supports the core functions of the government through:
Budgeting & Financial Services
- Administrative and financial management
- Human resource management, professional development and organizational effectiveness.
- Support to the Directorate
The Budgeting and Financial Services section of CS is critical to the provision of direction, guidance, and maintenance of financial controls within all levels of the department in the accordance with Financial Administration Act. This section leads budget and financial planning through management of departmental public expenditures, preparation and coordination of all budgets, tracking of expenditures, preparation of funding submissions, and evaluation of program performance. Additionally, the Budgeting and Financial Services Section provides overall controllership support services for the Department.
Human Resources & Organizational Development
- Facilitate capital and operational budget processes.
- Support program delivery (grants and contributions).
- Coordinate daily, weekly, monthly and annual accounting transactions and controls.
The ability to attract qualified employees to support the governance structure of the new territory has been a challenge throughout the Government of Nunavut. The Human Resources and Organizational Development (HROD) section has been established to lead departmental initiatives for recruitment and retention, as well as the development and monitoring of programs in support of building capacity for Inuit hiring. Through learning strategies and documenting and promoting best practices, HROD is active in strengthening organizational effectiveness. This is achieved through the provision of expert advice & support to program development and community operations staff for training and professional development initiatives.
Administrative & Reception
- Support departmental requirements related to staffing, leave, and related matters.
- Support and assist in creating and implementing training and development plans to address existing and future requirements.
- Assist in providing training and professional development.
In order to support the effective daily operations of the Department of Environment, administrative and reception services are provided to the Headquarters Office. These support services are also provided to each division within DOE, including regional offices. This section is integral to providing office support, ensuring a high level of client service, and the appropriate routing of internal and external inquires.
- Provide timely, effective and efficient administrative support to all areas of the department.
- Maintain the inventory of wildlife tags and licenses for issuance to Wildlife Officers.
- Maintain inventory and control over issuance of accountable forms.